Sausage or Tofu Jambalaya
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 4 oz (100g) sausage, skin removed, and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1.25 cups easy-cook long grain rice
- 14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1.75 cups hot chicken stock
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 red and green pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 6 scallions (green onions) chopped
- heat the oil in a large pan. Add the sausage and onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the oil from the sausage is released.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the rice until coated in the oil.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and herbs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peppers, peas and scallions and cook, covered, for a further 10 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.