- 1.5 pounds (0.6kg) ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery and a few celery leaves chopped
- 4 medium cloves of garlic, or 2 teaspoons purchased chopped garlic from the jar
- 1 28 oz (798 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (14 oz or 19 oz, 396 or 540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- a few shakes of pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup rice
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (mixture of corn, peas, carrots)
- 1 potato, chopped in small pieces
- Brown the beef
- Add and saute the onion, celery and garlic
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juice, the water, black beans, parsley, salt, sugar, paprika, bay leaf, pepper, Worchestershire sauce, and rice
- cook 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Add the frozen vegetables and potato
- Cook another 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaf (if you can find it)
- Serve with good bread or buns.
For Vegetarian version
- omit the meat
- add one can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- add one can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- add 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Add 2 tbsp barley
- Add more frozen vegetables
Hints: for preparing for a large group
- Brown the meat and do the onion celery and garlic the day before.
- Boil water in a kettle before adding to the soup, this reduces the cooking time
- You may need to add a cup or two of water before serving. Using 6 cups of water for cooking still allows you to transport it if you have to.
- This can be made on the stove and transferred to slow cookers if required for serving off site.
- 4 times this recipe plus one batch of the vegetarian recipe fed 50-55 people with a little left over.